Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mac Mac is offline

Default COUNTIF

I have this spreadsheet that I created to count activities for the day. I
added a drop down for specific choices so I can graph the results for example
Item A, Item B, and Item C. There is a total of the number of Item A's on
another sheet using the COUNTIF. How can I count numbers next to the Item A
or Item B?

Item A listed 10 times will display the number 10 using the CountIF. If
Item A has a 2 next to it, then I will need to display 20. Is there a way of
doing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Will each item have the exact same value on each row?

What/where is your list of values for each item?

If you have a datalist with these values, you can incorporate a Vlookup()
function to multiply it's return by the Countif() function.

RD

"Mac" wrote in message
I have this spreadsheet that I created to count activities for the day. I
added a drop down for specific choices so I can graph the results for
example
Item A, Item B, and Item C. There is a total of the number of Item A's on
another sheet using the COUNTIF. How can I count numbers next to the Item
or Item B?

Item A listed 10 times will display the number 10 using the CountIF. If
Item A has a 2 next to it, then I will need to display 20. Is there a way
of
doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mac Mac is offline

No, each item will not always have the exact same value.

Sheet 5
Colume 3 Column 4
Item A .....2
Item A .....3
Item B......1
Item B......5
Item A......1

Sheet 2

col 2 labeled Item A
=countif(sheet5!F3:F100,"Item A")
the above will return 3 for Item A

col 3 labeled total number

total number of Item A's in col 4 on Sheet 5
I would like for it to display 6.

How?

"Mac" wrote in message
I have this spreadsheet that I created to count activities for the day. I
added a drop down for specific choices so I can graph the results for
example
Item A, Item B, and Item C. There is a total of the number of Item A's on
another sheet using the COUNTIF. How can I count numbers next to the Item
or Item B?

Item A listed 10 times will display the number 10 using the CountIF. If
Item A has a 2 next to it, then I will need to display 20. Is there a way
of
doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's easy!

In column next to the Countif(), use Sumif().

=Sumif(sheet5!F3:F100,"Item A",sheet5!G3:G100)

--
HTH,

RD

"Mac" wrote in message
I have this spreadsheet that I created to count activities for the day.
added a drop down for specific choices so I can graph the results for
example
Item A, Item B, and Item C. There is a total of the number of Item A's
on
another sheet using the COUNTIF. How can I count numbers next to the
Item
or Item B?

Item A listed 10 times will display the number 10 using the CountIF.
If
Item A has a 2 next to it, then I will need to display 20. Is there a
way
of
doing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"Mac" wrote in message
Cool! It's working...

"RagDyer" wrote:

Will each item have the exact same value on each row?

What/where is your list of values for each item?

If you have a datalist with these values, you can incorporate a
Vlookup()
function to multiply it's return by the Countif() function.

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!