Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Custom Format text

hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not" appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To "hide" 0s:

0;-0;;@

But I'm guessing you want to do it for some other value!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not" appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes, for text, e.g.: xx
have a column want to sort "off-lines" to end, instead of NOT situation ="",
have to use characters.. (do not see a ready made custom format for text).

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not" appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

have a column want to sort "off-lines" to end, instead of NOT situation
="",
have to use characters..

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

How about using conditional formatting to set the font color to be the same
as the fill color?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not"
appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, that would otherwise work, but am using all 3 cond. formats
really just need to hide a double x: xx
use not so important, but have lines that are below value, they are
formula'ed to turn off in such a case, e.g.: if levels less than 50, display
nothing:
=IF(quantity<50,"",else true sorts unwanted records to top, need them to
bottom, replace "" with: "xx"; do not want to see the "xx".

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not"
appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe this:

General;General;General;[White]General

*ALL TEXT* entries will appear in a white font. Change White to be the same
as the fill color. However, conditional formatting will take precedence.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not"
appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, thought that would work but maybe need way to separate each -general for
each level of conditional formatting? or for (same difference, using text)
good text output. anyways, that seems to (yellow) out all characters.
other problem is that it would yellow out all of my "good" yellow outputs,
where cond. formatting was skipped on those rows.

maybe example of what would need, if worked would be:
["xx"]"",general did not work either

variations tried
General;General;General;[Yellow]General
[Black]General;[Black]General;[Black]General;[Yellow]General
General[Black];General[Black];General[Black];General[yellow]

variations of output include: a0 br dd p0 p1 p2 p3 v1 v2
& xx / nothing ""

"Nastech" wrote in message
hi, is there a way to make a specific text, in a column to "not"
appear?
have tried variations on use of 0 example:

[=0]"";0 can not get to work for text, thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

or rather: [="xx"]"";General did not seem to work
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I'm out of formatting suggestions. How about this...

Instead of the formula returning "xx", have it return a space. The space
won't be seen and the cell will still contain a character for sorting
purposes.

If that doesn't work then I don't have any other suggestions.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nastech" wrote in message
or rather: [="xx"]"";General did not seem to work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

p.s.: tried cond. format to use colored (black) text, either way all output
seems to go with yellow text.