Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to find cells that refer to data in other cells in excel

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Try this:

Select A1 then go to Edit/Go to, next click on Special and select
Dependants, click OK, it should hightlight every cell within the worhsheet
that depends on A1.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
xl has a built in function for this. trace dependents.
right click any tool bar. from the list click formula auditing. this will
display a small tool bar. on the formula auditing tool bar, click the 4th
icon from the left. If the values in the activecell is used in any formula,
arrows will appear pointing to the cell which uses the values in the
activecell.
this may not be what you had in mind but try it and see if it's workable for
you.

Regards
FSt1

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I couldnt find any such tool bar in excel 2007, so used other computer which
had 2003 and it works quite good. it did show that there is a reference to
other sheet aswell, however i was unable to find any information about that
sheet/cell. I also dont know how, if at all this can be done in excel 2007.
If you know, please resond. Thanks for your help.

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

my bad. i was testing it in 2007 on a read only sheet and it didnt show the
tool bar, once i made the sheet editable, i was able to get it to work.

thanks for your help.

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

When the dependant is in another sheet there will be a small dianmond in the
cell, double click on it and will show the linked cell, you can select the
link in the window and click ok to take you there!

I have excel 2000 and the auditing toolbar is not in list either but if I
click on "Customize" I can select it from there!

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
i'm still stuck on xp and i didn't think that they would change that. but
they did.
i did a search for you and came up with this. explains and tells how do do
the same in 2007. (i think. if not then on this page at the top where it says
"search micro soft.com" type in "trace dependents excel 2007". you will get a
list of articles on this subject.)
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ex...662531033.aspx

hope this help you would
regards
FSt1

"Aman" wrote:

Lets say I have some number in cell A1. lets say, cell x4 and ab200 have
forumalas that use the number in cell A1.

If I didnt know what cell used data in cell A1 to determine its value, is
there anyway to find which cells in an excel file refer to a cell to
determine its value. I am looking for a fuction say "find_cell_reference"
which takes in the argument of a cell for which references are to be found.
so i would type something like:

find_cell_reference(A1)

and it will return something like "x4 and ab200"

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I was playing around with it also and am able to get this tool bar and
go to other linked sheets aswell.

thanks to both you and Jean-Guy for your responses. I am on my way :)