Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding What Cultural Environment An XLS Was Created In: Excel 200

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to determine what cultural environment an Excel
workbook was created in before opening the workbook? We tried right-clicking
and looking in properties, but didn't see any property referencing the
environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alcide
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Define "Cultural Environment"??? Version, language, ???
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Alcide" wrote:

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to determine what cultural environment an Excel
workbook was created in before opening the workbook? We tried right-clicking
and looking in properties, but didn't see any property referencing the
environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alcide

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding What Cultural Environment An XLS Was Created In: Excel

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Pardon the vagueness of my question, which reflects
our unfamiliarity with this matter.

I assume it is language that we want.

Our problem is that Euro-style dates are being changed to American-style.
One of our users wants to know what language(maybe?) the workbook was saved
in so they would have forewarning of any formatting issues BEFORE they open
the file.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for your response.

Alcide

"Alcide" wrote:

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to determine what cultural environment an Excel
workbook was created in before opening the workbook? We tried right-clicking
and looking in properties, but didn't see any property referencing the
environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alcide

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

things like the date, and currency format are functions of Windows Regional
Settings, not excel, so there is no way to tell what the formatting on the
other computer was from the file.

"Alcide" wrote:

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a way to determine what cultural environment an Excel
workbook was created in before opening the workbook? We tried right-clicking
and looking in properties, but didn't see any property referencing the
environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alcide

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim is correct, but a possible solution would be to use formats that don't look
at the regional settings.

If you go to FormatDate, the list tells you which are based on regional
settings, and which are not.

Fred