Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Match Data for 4 Columns

Hello,
I'm familiar with the =isna(match( : ,false)) formula to match data for 2
columns. I have two spreadsheets with deduction codes and employee numbers
that i'm trying to match on one spreadsheet. Is it possilbe to match the
Employee #s based of the deduction codes. There are 1000s of records and i'm
trying to avoid having to reconcile the missing ded codes manually.

A B C D
EE #1 Ded Code1 EE #2 Ded Code2
111 MED 111 MED
222 MED 333 DEN
111 DEN 222 RET
333 RET 333 RET

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Joel!
If I wanted to compare the EE#s in columns A & C, i would set up the below
formulas in 2 new columns:

=isna(match(a2,$c$2:$c$5,false))
=isna(match(c2,$a$2:$a$5,false))

How would set up the 'AND' into the formualas to incorporate the ded codes
in columns B & D?

"Steve C" wrote:

Hello,
I'm familiar with the =isna(match( : ,false)) formula to match data for 2
columns. I have two spreadsheets with deduction codes and employee numbers
that i'm trying to match on one spreadsheet. Is it possilbe to match the
Employee #s based of the deduction codes. There are 1000s of records and i'm
trying to avoid having to reconcile the missing ded codes manually.

A B C D
EE #1 Ded Code1 EE #2 Ded Code2
111 MED 111 MED
222 MED 333 DEN
111 DEN 222 RET
333 RET 333 RET

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if you want an AND or an OR. AND will give you true if it
doesn't find a match in either case. OR will give you true if a match is
found in either case.

=AND(ISNA(MATCH(A2,$C$2:$C$5,FALSE)),ISNA(MATCH(C2 ,$A$2:$A$5,FALSE)))