Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting based on a cell value

Do you know of a way to do the following:

I have to choose if cell "C5" is either "direct" or "stock" - got that part
down (validation)

In cell G5, I want to have one set of conditional formatting if C5 is
"direct" and another set of conditions if C5 is "stock"

Example:

If C5 is stock, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 20%
Orange if the value of G5 is 15%
Red if the value of G5 is <15%

If C5 is direct, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 10%
Orange if the value of G5 is 7%
Red if the value of G5 is <7%

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CF/ Formula Is
=OR(AND(C5="stock",G520%),AND(C5="direct",G510%) ) for your green condition
and so on
--
David Biddulph

"pcjjjr" wrote in message
Do you know of a way to do the following:

I have to choose if cell "C5" is either "direct" or "stock" - got that
part
down (validation)

In cell G5, I want to have one set of conditional formatting if C5 is
"direct" and another set of conditions if C5 is "stock"

Example:

If C5 is stock, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 20%
Orange if the value of G5 is 15%
Red if the value of G5 is <15%

If C5 is direct, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 10%
Orange if the value of G5 is 7%
Red if the value of G5 is <7%

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I understand the concept of this formula to put in the conditional formatting
area and put all three conditions in, but nothing changed in the formatting.

I placed this formula (for one condition) in the cell to the right, and am
receiving a "false" answer - that's why the formatting is not changing. I
try changing the values to make the cells fit the two conditions, and still
get the "false" answer to the formula.

I will keep messing with it to try to get a "true" answer for one condition
and then work from there.

Any other help would be appreciated as well.

"pcjjjr" wrote in message
Do you know of a way to do the following:

I have to choose if cell "C5" is either "direct" or "stock" - got that
part
down (validation)

In cell G5, I want to have one set of conditional formatting if C5 is
"direct" and another set of conditions if C5 is "stock"

Example:

If C5 is stock, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 20%
Orange if the value of G5 is 15%
Red if the value of G5 is <15%

If C5 is direct, then I want G5 to be
Green if the value of G5 is 10%
Orange if the value of G5 is 7%
Red if the value of G5 is <7%

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My Error - I was missing a ) in the formula......changed the whole result.

I had cleared the cell next to the one that I wanted, and started from
scratch with the "insert function" button so that I would have all of the
syntax, parenthesis, quotations, etc. in the correct places and it worked. I
then cut and pasted that value in to the conditional formatting and checked
against the condition 2 and realized that I had the ) in the wrong location.

Problem solved!!!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!!