Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joy Joy is offline

Default Creating Formula

I am creating an travel expense report sheet and i am not sure if i am doing
this right. I formatted the cells to add and calculate, but when i saved and
reopened the file i had to reformat again. Can someone please let me know
what am i doing wrong. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you saving the file as a normal workbook (.xls)?

If you're saving as text (like .prn or .txt or .csv), then the formatting (and
formulas) will disappear when the file is saved.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joy Joy is offline

Yes i am saving as a .xls. Do i need to put zeros in the spaces where i
want my numbers to be so people will know that it will automaticaly add?

Joy wrote:

I am creating an travel expense report sheet and i am not sure if i am doing
this right. I formatted the cells to add and calculate, but when i saved and
reopened the file i had to reformat again. Can someone please let me know
what am i doing wrong. Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You shouldn't need to do this.

I like to color the cells (format|cells|Patterns tab) that are used for input.
Then the user knows what cells to input.

If a cell is empty, then excel will treat it as 0 in other formulas.