Junior Member

Default Simple question- please help!

I have a column of data that contains a 7 digit number in each row. I need to insert a hyphen after the 2nd number for formatting purposes. Any easy way to do it? I am getting tired of the copy and paste. Example below

As it looks now:
990000
990001

How I need it to look:
99-0000
99-0001

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it is for formnatting purposes then Custom format the cells as:

##-#####

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Mark31" wrote in message

I have a column of data that contains a 7 digit number in each row. I
need to insert a hyphen after the 2nd number for formatting purposes.
Any easy way to do it? I am getting tired of the copy and paste.
Example below

As it looks now:
990000
990001

How I need it to look:
99-0000
99-0001

Thanks.

--
Mark31

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A Custom Format that looks something like 00-#### should do what you want.

Select your column, right-click and select Format Cells. The first tab is
"Number". Custom is at the bottom of the left-hand list.
HTH

Junior Member

Thanks a lot, your replies were very helpful!

simple Question Mo2 New Users to Excel 1 May 3rd 07 06:08 AM
Simple question.... Omakbob Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 February 14th 07 05:44 PM
Simple Simple Excel usage question BookerW Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 23rd 05 10:06 PM
Simple VBA question Mark1 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 November 30th 04 10:25 PM
simple question? David New Users to Excel 1 November 25th 04 10:02 PM