Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kev Kev is offline

Default Check box formulas

Is it possible to have a formula behind a checkbox that will then be able to
be calculated at the end of a row.
For example I am attempting to set up a school register, so that a child
attends a tick is selected in the checkbox, this then means that a fee is
chargeable. So the tick stands for say a fee of £3.60. Each time a tick is
selected it would add these up and tell me how much each parent was to be
charged.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could assign a linked cell to each of the checkboxes. Then that linked cell
will be TRUE if the checkbox is checked.

Then you could use:

=linkedcell*3.60
like: =a2*3.60

or
=countif(a2:x2,true)*3.60
if A2:x2 were the linked cells.

You may want to give the linked cells a custom format of:
;;;
(3 semicolons)
You won't see the value in the cells, but you will see it in the formula bar.

=======
An alternative that I like:

Select the range that would have held the checkboxes.
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings (make it as large as you want)

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

Or you can filter by blanks and non-blanks.

You can also use formulas like:
=(a2<"")*3.60
or
=counta(a2:x2)*3.60