Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to trim a string to the last "."

I have 11,000 long text strings in Excel... I had used LEFT operation to
limit the strings to 500 charaters, now I need to trim the strings to the
last available "." so that I can delete those uncompleted sentence after the
last "."

I tried to use "Text to Column", but it does not give me good result...

Please HELP!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the original text in A1

This formula (shown in segments for readability) shortens that string to 500
characters, then truncates it after the last period:
B1: =LEFT(LEFT(A1,500),FIND(CHAR(7),
SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",CHAR(7),LEN(LEFT(A1,50 0))-
LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",""))))+1)

Copy that formula down as far as you need.

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"VCKW" wrote in message
I have 11,000 long text strings in Excel... I had used LEFT operation to
limit the strings to 500 charaters, now I need to trim the strings to the
last available "." so that I can delete those uncompleted sentence after
the
last "."

I tried to use "Text to Column", but it does not give me good result...

Please HELP!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I realize that, using a maximum of 500 characters, you probably will never
run into the situation where there are no periods in the (initially)
truncated string of text; however, if you should ever want to modify this
formula for use in a situation where that possibility exists (that is, if
you ever need to change the 500 to something much, much less), then the
following function will return the string of text, truncated to 500
characters, if there is no periods within the first 500 characters; also, if
A1 is empty, the formula returns the empty string.

=LEFT(A1,FIND(CHAR(7),SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500)&".", ".",CHAR(7),NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND(".",LEFT(A1,500))))+ LEN(LEFT(A1,500))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".","")))))

Although the formula is similar to the one Ron posted, it is built slightly
differently to account for the functionality I outlined above; however, I
did use the same CHAR(7) substitution character that Ron used.

Rick

"VCKW" wrote in message
I have 11,000 long text strings in Excel... I had used LEFT operation to
limit the strings to 500 charaters, now I need to trim the strings to the
last available "." so that I can delete those uncompleted sentence after
the
last "."

I tried to use "Text to Column", but it does not give me good result...

Please HELP!!

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:13:31 -0500, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:

This formula (shown in segments for readability) shortens that string to 500
characters, then truncates it after the last period:
B1: =LEFT(LEFT(A1,500),FIND(CHAR(7),
SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",CHAR(7),LEN(LEFT(A1,5 00))-
LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",""))))+1)

Your formula also returns the character following the ".". Suggest you omit
the last "+1"

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks everyone!!! :) It works the way I want and this save me hundred of
hours!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Ron. Good catch.

--------------------------

Best Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

wrote:

This formula (shown in segments for readability) shortens that string to
500
characters, then truncates it after the last period:
B1: =LEFT(LEFT(A1,500),FIND(CHAR(7),
SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",CHAR(7),LEN(LEFT(A1, 500))-
LEN(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,500),".",""))))+1)

Your formula also returns the character following the ".". Suggest you
omit
the last "+1"

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

You already got some solutions, but just for the fun of it:
=regexpreplace(A1,"^(.*\.)?.*$","$1")

This UDF you can get he
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/regexp.html

Regards,
Bernd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You already got some solutions, but just for the fun of it:
=regexpreplace(A1,"^(.*\.)?.*$","$1")

This UDF you can get he
http://www.sulprobil.com/html/regexp.html

Well, if you are looking for a UDF type solution, this one-liner would do
what your code does, as it applies to the OP's request (assuming you added
the part to initially truncate the text at 500 characters before looking for
the last period)...

Function TruncateAtPeriod(ByVal Source As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
TruncateAtPeriod = Left(Source, InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), "."))
End Function

where the OP would call it like this...

=TruncateAtPeriod(A1,500)

Both of our code returns the empty string if, in the unlikely event, no
periods exist within the text (in my case, prior to the 500th character), so
additional code would be needed in order to return the whole string of text
(assuming that is what the OP would want to happen when no periods are found
within the text).

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Rick,

additional code would be needed in order to return the whole string of text
(assuming that is what the OP would want to happen when no periods are found
within the text).

Less code in my example: just omit the "?" :-)

Regards,
Bernd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

additional code would be needed in order to return the whole string of
text
(assuming that is what the OP would want to happen when no periods are
found
within the text).

Less code in my example: just omit the "?" :-)

Well, I wasn't talking about a *lot* of additional code. Still a
one-liner....

Function TruncateAtPeriod(ByVal Source As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
TruncateAtPeriod = Left(Source, InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), ".") - _
Len(Source) * (Not Source Like "*.*"))
End Function

Besides, you still have to include *more* code somewhere to perform the
initial truncation (to 500 characters).<g

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:52:56 -0800 (PST), Bernd P wrote:

Hello Rick,

additional code would be needed in order to return the whole string of text
(assuming that is what the OP would want to happen when no periods are found
within the text).

Less code in my example: just omit the "?" :-)

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd,

A couple of points.

Your "code" is not really shorter if you include the VBA code required for the
UDF.

But, more importantly, I don't believe your code will work with a multiline
text string because of the limitations of the VBScript flavor of regex.

In particular, there is no provision, in VBScript to enable <dot matches
newline.

OK, I just downloaded the UDF and tested it and, indeed, it does not work on
multiline text strings.

If you want to use regular expressions for this exercise, I would suggest the
following UDF with a regex constructed according to the maximum length of the
string (500 in this case, but there is an optional argument to change that:

Option Explicit
Function reTruncateAtDot(str As String, _
Optional NumChars As Long = 500) As String
Dim re As Object, mc As Object
Dim sPat As String

sPat = "^[\s\S]{1," & NumChars & "}\."
Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp")
re.Pattern = sPat
Set mc = re.Execute(str)
reTruncateAtDot = mc(0)
End Function
==============================

The OP could use either:

=reTruncateAtDot(A1) which would truncate at the last dot prior to the 501st
character, or use an optional NumChars to change that.

The regex with the 500 characters "hard-coded" would look like:

"^[\s\S]{1,500}\."

If you wanted to use your formula, and have it work with multiline text
strings, then try:

=regexpreplace(A1,"^([\s\S]*\.)?[\s\S]*$","$1")

But you'd still need the second step to trim to 500 characters.

Oh, and in my contribution, since the OP did not specify what he wants to
happen if there are no dots in the first 500 characters, a VALUE error will be
returned. That, obviously, could be changed depending on the OP's wishes.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

additional code would be needed in order to return the whole string of
text
(assuming that is what the OP would want to happen when no periods are
found
within the text).

Less code in my example: just omit the "?" :-)

A couple of points.

Your "code" is not really shorter if you include the VBA code required for
the
UDF.

That was going roughly going to be my answer when I first read Bernd's
response; but I think, given the trimmed portion of the previous responses
in his posting and leaving aside the 500 character maximum truncation
requested by the OP, he was simply just addressing my comment about needing
*additional* code for my function to be able to return the entire text
string whereas to do the same with his code only required removing the
question mark. Yes, there is the question of the needed UDF code to make his
formula line work as well as the 500 character truncation issue; but I'm
pretty sure Bernd's posting was meant to focus in on this much narrower
issue without addressing anything else.

Rick

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:36:10 -0500, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

That was going roughly going to be my answer when I first read Bernd's
response; but I think, given the trimmed portion of the previous responses
in his posting and leaving aside the 500 character maximum truncation
requested by the OP, he was simply just addressing my comment about needing
*additional* code for my function to be able to return the entire text
string whereas to do the same with his code only required removing the
question mark. Yes, there is the question of the needed UDF code to make his
formula line work as well as the 500 character truncation issue; but I'm
pretty sure Bernd's posting was meant to focus in on this much narrower
issue without addressing anything else.

Oh, I see.

Of course, I don't believe his regex will work for multiline text strings, for
the reason I pointed out in my response. And it seems likely to me that a 500
character text string in Excel would likely have at least one linefeed. So he
should substitute "[\s\S]" for the "." in his regex.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

I'll take your word for the regex stuff... the last time I did anything with
regular expressions was back in the mid-1980s on a UNIX based
mini-computer... I'm afraid I remember next to nothing from back then
(except that it was quite easy to write complex regular expressions whose
operation was perfectly obvious during their construction but that one could
not understand how they worked some 10 minutes or so later on<g).

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ron, hi Rick,

let us agree that regex are quite powerful. Since they are line-
orientated (or we are facing line restrictions) we can wait and see
whether my suggesion will work for the OP.

And now let us wait for the next two dozen questions regarding string
manipulation and let's count the overall sum of UDF rows plus calls to
them (it)...

Regards,
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:53:14 -0500, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

(except that it was quite easy to write complex regular expressions whose
operation was perfectly obvious during their construction but that one could
not understand how they worked some 10 minutes or so later on<g).

That is still the case!
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:55:12 -0800 (PST), Bernd P wrote:

Hi Ron, hi Rick,

let us agree that regex are quite powerful. Since they are line-
orientated (or we are facing line restrictions) we can wait and see
whether my suggesion will work for the OP.

And now let us wait for the next two dozen questions regarding string
manipulation and let's count the overall sum of UDF rows plus calls to
them (it)...

Regards,
Bernd

Why do you write they are "line-oriented"?

At least in the few flavors with which I am familiar, multiline implementations
are common. The issue here is that with VBA, setting multiline to TRUE (which
is allowed in the UDF you recommended) only changes the behavior of "^" and
"$", and not the behavior of "." as is true for other flavors. Simple enough
to work around, though.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:50:17 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

[...]

I really should have included the qualification that the original Unix editors,
and regex engines were, indeed, line oriented. However, when I first worked
with Unix (actually I think it was Xenix, if I recall correctly) back in the
early '80's, vi (a screen editor) had already been developed and was pretty
widely distributed.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

[...]

Just for kicks, if the OP does not want to return an error if there are no dots
in the string, here is a regex that will

1. Return a maximum of 500 characters and, in order of priority
a. Return up to the last "." if there is one
b. If no ".", then split at the last <space
c. If no "." or <space, return 500 characters.

(note that it does not return the ending <space if that is what it is
splitting on. It should work with multiline text strings in VBA:

"^([\s\S]{1,500}\.|[\s\S]{1,500}(?= )|[\s\S]{1,500})"

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just for kicks, if the OP does not want to return an error if there are no
dots
in the string, here is a regex that will

1. Return a maximum of 500 characters and, in order of priority
a. Return up to the last "." if there is one
b. If no ".", then split at the last <space
c. If no "." or <space, return 500 characters.

(note that it does not return the ending <space if that is what it is
splitting on. It should work with multiline text strings in VBA:

"^([\s\S]{1,500}\.|[\s\S]{1,500}(?= )|[\s\S]{1,500})"

I like the "split at last space" condition 'challenge'. A little more
"wordy" than your regex solution, but still a one-liner (my own self-imposed
restriction) VBA function...

Function Truncate(ByVal Source As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
Truncate = RTrim$(Left(Source, InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), ".") - _
(InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), " ")) * _
(Not Left(Source, TrimAt) Like "*.*") - _
(Len(Left(Source, TrimAt))) * _
(Not Left(Source, TrimAt) Like "*[. ]*")))
End Function

Note that I still left the optional TrimAt argument so the OP can set it to
500 (or any other value desired) in the calling formula.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I like the "split at last space" condition 'challenge'. A little more
"wordy" than your regex solution, but still a one-liner (my own
self-imposed restriction) VBA function...

Function Truncate(ByVal Source As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
Truncate = RTrim$(Left(Source, InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), ".") - _
(InStrRev(Left(Source, TrimAt), " ")) * _
(Not Left(Source, TrimAt) Like "*.*") - _
(Len(Left(Source, TrimAt))) * _
(Not Left(Source, TrimAt) Like "*[. ]*")))
End Function

Note that I still left the optional TrimAt argument so the OP can set it
to 500 (or any other value desired) in the calling formula.

And this is how I would write the function in "real life" (that is, without
forcing it to a one-liner)...

Function Truncate(ByVal Text As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
Text = Left$(Text, TrimAt)
Truncate = Left$(Text, InStrRev(Text, "."))
If Len(Truncate) = 0 Then Truncate = RTrim(Left(Text, InStrRev(Text, "
")))
If Len(Truncate) = 0 Then Truncate = Text
End Function

Note: I changed some argument names to avoid using line continuations

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

Damn! The line wrapped at an 'unfortunate' spot (a blank) anyway. Here is
the same function renamed to Chop instead of Truncate; it should have each
statement fit on a single line without wrapping...

Function Chop(ByVal Text As String, _
Optional TrimAt As Long = 30000) As String
Text = Left$(Text, TrimAt)
Chop = Left$(Text, InStrRev(Text, "."))
If Len(Chop) = 0 Then Chop = RTrim(Left(Text, InStrRev(Text, " ")))
If Len(Chop) = 0 Then Chop = Text
End Function

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:07:53 -0500, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:

Note that I still left the optional TrimAt argument so the OP can set it to
500 (or any other value desired) in the calling formula.

That is still a feature of the UDF I wrote to test the regex; it's similar to
the previous one I posted with ...Optional NumChars as Long = 500 ...

but the regex the UDF constructs substitutes NumChars for the 500 in the one I
posted.

By the way, there is a program called RegexBuddy which makes designing and
debugging regexes quite simple.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

By the way, there is a program called RegexBuddy which makes
designing and debugging regexes quite simple.

I looked RegexBuddy up via Google... that looks like an interesting product.
I bookmarked it in the event I ever decide to get back into Regular
Expression. Thanks for mentioning it.

Rick