Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default format

I have a column of dates, a column of customers and a column of sales totals.
If I have a few rows of data it would look like this.

01-01-07 john smith builders $200.00
10-10-07 john smith buiders $800.00
01-15-07 Blarney Builders $600.00
02-10-07 John Smith Buiders $500.00
02-11-07 Blarney Builders $450.00
01-15-07 Blarney Buiders $800.00

I need a formula that will recognize what month the sale was made in and
give me a total by customer for each month. Does that make sense?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:12:00 -0800, vdmbqb
wrote:

I have a column of dates, a column of customers and a column of sales totals.
If I have a few rows of data it would look like this.

01-01-07 john smith builders $200.00
10-10-07 john smith buiders $800.00
01-15-07 Blarney Builders $600.00
02-10-07 John Smith Buiders $500.00
02-11-07 Blarney Builders $450.00
01-15-07 Blarney Buiders $800.00

I need a formula that will recognize what month the sale was made in and
give me a total by customer for each month. Does that make sense?

Seems like a good application for a Pivot Table.

After correcting the (probable) typos in your data, I wind up with a report
like:

Amount Date
Customer Jan Feb Oct Grand Total
Blarney Builders $1,400 $450 $1,850
John Smith Builders $200 $500 $800 $1,500
Grand Total $1,600 $950 $800 $3,350

To duplicate this:

Ensure your columns have titles at the top.

Select Data/Pivot Table and Chart
<Finish

Then drag the Customer to the Rows area, Dates to the Columns area, and Sales
to the Data area.

(You can switch the Customer and Dates to Columns and Rows if you prefer).

Next, <right-click on the Dates and select
Group and Show Detail
Group

Then by Months.

From the Pivot Table menu, select an appropriate format.