Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation List Not Formated

I think I have a similar problem to that described in
"Data Validation using Dates" 9/6/2007, which unfortunately doesnt appear to
have the answer attached.

The way my problem has arisen is as follows:

In a workbook I have a sheet, say Sheet1, with a Validation List linked to a
Named Range defined on another sheet, say Sheet2.
The Named range consists of Dates formated as "ddd dd mmmm yy", and the cell
linked to the range through the Validation also has the same numbering format
applied.
Whilst Sheet1 is part of the original workbook, the Validation List works
perfectly.

However, when I take a copy of Sheet1 to a new workbook (as Sheet1 is a
"template") the format of the values within the dropdown reverts to the
Serial Number format.

I think I can get around it by copying the Named Range for the Validation
List to an array by using VB Code each time the "template" workbook is opened.
However, I would like to find an alternative simpler method, as the group of
workbooks are being developed for a friend who has no understanding of macros
or VB, and I want to have the workbooks work with a minimum of VB Code so he
doesnt come back too regularly because he has manged to break it

Thanks very much

Kris