Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Permissions

I have set up an excel workbook and attached permissions to gain access to
change or add data to cells without the password.

My question is : Can the password be cracked even though the user does not
have permission to edit or change the cells.

I need to know, how safe is the password?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel's internal security is very weak and passwords to unprotect sheets and
workbooks are easily broken in seconds by anyone who can access the Internet and
search for "password cracker".

Shorter answer.........not safe at all.

Protecting a sheet and locking cells is good only to prevent accidental
overwriting of data and formulas.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP