Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Drop Down List - Source from another workbook

I am working on a worksheet that will have a drop down list. But the list I
need the list to come from is in another workbook that has 900 entries in it,
whats the fastest way to do this??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Define a named range to cover the data in your source sheet. Then in
Data | Validation on the cell where you want the drop-down to appear
select List and enter the name as the source.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 22, 12:36 pm, LittleAnn
wrote:
I am working on a worksheet that will have a drop down list. But the list I
need the list to come from is in another workbook that has 900 entries in it,
whats the fastest way to do this??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Firstly you should not be using a drop down list pointing to a list of 900
line items.

Rather, use an input cell that uses VLOOKUP to find the correct row and
column you are interested in using in your calculations (use exact lookup if
you want to restrict specific return values). Of course, your 1st column in
the 900 line item list will have to be sorted in some manner. I would put the
list in the same workbook as your drop down list. Finally, to restrict
erroneous user inputs, use Data Validation other than a Pick List.
--
Gnothi se auton.

"LittleAnn" wrote:

I am working on a worksheet that will have a drop down list. But the list I
need the list to come from is in another workbook that has 900 entries in it,
whats the fastest way to do this??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the source box for the List enter:

=sheetname!Jobs

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
I am working on a worksheet that will have a drop down list. But the list I
need the list to come from is in another workbook that has 900 entries in it,
whats the fastest way to do this??- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the source dialog enter =Jobs

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP