Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default names to numbers

i want to put a drop down box in my worksheet but i am doing something very
wrong.

i want to put a yes and no in a drop down box with yes = 4 no = 0
then add what ever the number is in the next row then get the total in
another row.
like this

yes or no if yes then add it to this to come up with this
4 X the next row 15(or wahtever this number is)= this in the next row
for the life me i can not get the vlookup to work right can anyone help

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Imagine your drop-down is in A1, returning Yes or No, and that you
have another number in A2, then in A3 enter this formula:

=IF(A1="Yes",4*A2,A2)

or you might mean:

=IF(A1="Yes",4+A2,A2)

if you really mean to ADD 4 onto the value in A2.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 21, 4:48 pm, rl71066 wrote:
i want to put a drop down box in my worksheet but i am doing something very
wrong.

i want to put a yes and no in a drop down box with yes = 4 no = 0
then add what ever the number is in the next row then get the total in
another row.
like this

yes or no if yes then add it to this to come up with this
4 X the next row 15(or wahtever this number is)= this in the next row
for the life me i can not get the vlookup to work right can anyone help

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In A1 we will put either yes or no
In A2 we will put some number