Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying year

1.How can copy the months with same year i.e. Mar 2003, Apr 2003, May 2003
etc because as I drag the cell containing Mar 2003 down, the year gets
incremented
2. Last week I have created marina.xls file which was working fine. But
after 1 week when I trying to open it, the error flashes marina.xls: not a
Excel file format and refuses to open the file? What might have gone wrong?
How can I retrieve the file contents?
Ajit
--
Knowldege is Power
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

#1. Use real dates.

I'd put this in the top cell (say A1???):
=date(2007,3,1)
Then in a2:
=date(year(a1),month(a1)+1,1)
and drag a2 down as far as you want.

And give those dates a custom format of: MMM YYYY

#2. If the .xls file was opened in MSWord and saved as a document (but still
with a .xls extension), then you'll see the error.

You may be able to retrieve some data by opening the file in MSWord and
copy|pasting to a worksheet in a new workbook.

You might be better off by restoring/using a backup version.

Ajit Munj wrote:

1.How can copy the months with same year i.e. Mar 2003, Apr 2003, May 2003
etc because as I drag the cell containing Mar 2003 down, the year gets
incremented
2. Last week I have created marina.xls file which was working fine. But
after 1 week when I trying to open it, the error flashes marina.xls: not a
Excel file format and refuses to open the file? What might have gone wrong?
How can I retrieve the file contents?
Ajit
--
Knowldege is Power