Bonnie

Default I think I can, but where?

Hi there! Using E02 on XP. Not a programmer but have used
Access for awhile. However, this project can best be done
in Excel. I can do some code, mainly event procedure stuff
as well as formulas.

There are still a few Lotus 1-2-3 files at my company and
this one in particular runs a series of fund return
reports that can be printed or pasted into Excel files.
(One for each of five commission levels, data kinda spread
out in different cells, cause it looks cute to print.) I
also have the Excel file "shell" needed by systems as the
final product. (One worksheet, with five segments for the
commission levels; A1:H77; A122;H198; A243:H319;
A364:H440; and A485:H561.)

For years this poor dude has been printing the five
reports, eyeball comparing and hand correcting the "shell"
file before sending it to systems and I know there's got
to be a better way.

I think I know what to do but want to verify it in the
newsgroups before plowing in just in case there's a better
way I'm not seeing.

I'm guessing I recreate the "shell" on a new file on
worksheet one and paste in the generated file data to
worksheet two. Name my file. Then go to each cell on
worksheet one and make it equal the appropriate cell on
worksheet two. Since the file spitting out the reports is
Lotus 1-2-3, we don't have to worry about the data being
altered in any way because we don't even have technical
support for it anymore. And until someone reprograms the
whole thing in Excel (could be years), this is what we've
got. Then, each time I paste in new data to worksheet two,
worksheet one is automatically updated, correct? Then I
just select, copy and paste special/values, save and send
on it's merry way.

Looking forward to hearing from someone. Thanks in advance
for any help or advice! LUV U GUYS!

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Your post doesn't give a clue, are you simply rearranging data (i.e. data
from Sheet2!C3 is always displayed in cell D2 on Sheet1 etc. as example),
are you displaying specific data at specific location (i.e. value of X for
item Y from Sheet2 is displayed in cell D2 on Sheet1, as example), or do you
need to consolidate (sum, count) data from Sheet2 into Sheet1.

Of course much depends on structure (or missing of it) of data, exported
from Lotus. But usually it'll be possible to design Sheet1 in such a way,
that when data from Lotus are copied into Sheet2 (NB! No inserting/deleting
rows, columns or cells! When something needs to be deleted, use
ClearContents, to insert new data use PasteSpecial.Values), the formulas on
Sheet1 are displaying wanted report automatically - without any VBA. For
more detailed help, we need the layout of data on both sheets explained - at
least partially (an example field for every different dat type, I mean here
simple links, or lookup values, or sums etc, from Sheet1, and layout of
source data for all of those on Sheet2).

Arvi Laanemets

"Bonnie" wrote in message
[...]

Bonnie

Sorry, thought I was being specific as heck. I swear I
tried really hard. Anyway: Yes, sheet1 is just a shell
linking to the data that would be pasted to sheet2, etc.
Each segment of sheet1 looks to a set of cells that do not
change (only the data they contain). I'm grateful you
replied as though it was a simple link so I know I'm on
the right track. Thanks bunches!

.