Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why Cos(45) is not equal 1/Sqrt(2)?

Does anyone have any suggestions how to use Cos function in Excel?
When I type =cos(45) in cell A1, it returns 0.525322 which is not 1/Sqrt(2).
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Cos?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Eric,

COS expects radian, not degrees.
=COS(RADIANS(45)) yields 0.707106781

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Eric" wrote in message ...
| Does anyone have any suggestions how to use Cos function in Excel?
| When I type =cos(45) in cell A1, it returns 0.525322 which is not 1/Sqrt(2).
| Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Cos?
| Thanks in advance for any suggestions
| Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Nov 18, 12:45 am, Eric wrote:
When I type =cos(45) in cell A1, it returns 0.525322 which is not
1/Sqrt(2). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Cos?

As Niek noted, COS() expects radians, not degrees, a fact that is
explained clearly, even by example, on the Help page. Click on Help
= Microsoft Excel Help = Search For: COS = COS Worksheet. That is
not intended to be an "RTFM" comment, but to introduce you to the Help
feature, which will be useful in the future.

But note that even COS(RADIANS(45)) does not equal 1/SQRT(2). If you
subtract the two, you will see a difference of about 1E-16. That's to
be expected, given the different approximation formulas used
internally.

(For the nitpickers, arguably Excel could have ensured equality in
this particular case by using a table look-up, as it probably does for
"common" arguments of functions like COS, RADIANS and SQRT, and it
controls the result of RADIANS(45). But that would be the exception,
not the rule.)

Sum of SQRT(x) Lina New Users to Excel 4 February 5th 07 06:31 AM
Unable to find values of SQRT(0) big_ears Excel Worksheet Functions 3 April 12th 06 01:52 PM
find exact values of SQRT big_ears Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 12th 06 07:57 AM
We have SQRT. But what is the function for other roots - cubed ro. ACC Excel Worksheet Functions 7 March 2nd 05 07:37 PM
how to multiply 29,5 with sqrt of 12 Smiley Excel Worksheet Functions 2 February 10th 05 05:27 PM