Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I copy a formula into a column but extend it by row

I have information in a single row. I want to create a formula and extend it
to an entire column but I want the cell value in the formula to extend by row.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't understand what this means - can you give further details and
examples of what you want to do?

Pete

On Nov 17, 8:13 pm, lhouck12
wrote:
I have information in a single row. I want to create a formula and extend it
to an entire column but I want the cell value in the formula to extend by row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have data in a row
x xx xxx xxx

I want to create a formula that references x. Then I want to copy and past
this formula in a column but I want the reference to increase by row so that
when I copy and paste it looks like this

xx
xxx
xxxx

Say x is orginally in cell A1. If I copy and paste down it would increment
to A2, A3, etc. I want the incrementation to be B1, C1, C1, etc even though I
am copy to different rows I want it to increment the column position.

TIA

wrote:
I have information in a single row. I want to create a formula and extend it
to an entire column but I want the cell value in the formula to extend by row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps something like this:

With:
B1: Alpha
C1: Bravo
D1: Charlie
E1: Echo

A2: =INDEX($B$1:$E$1,ROWS($1:1))
Copy that formula down as far as you need.

In the above example, these values are returned:
A2: Alpha
A3: Bravo
A4: Charlie
A5: Echo

Is that what you're looking for?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"lhouck12" wrote in message
I have information in a single row. I want to create a formula and extend
it
to an entire column but I want the cell value in the formula to extend by
row.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome......I'm glad I could help

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"lhouck12" wrote in message