Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fer Fer is offline

Default How to search a spread sheet for a value and return the adjacent v

I work with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs. I need to search one tab
and after locating the value return the value in the cell next to current tab.

tab 1 will be tab 2
cond cond 123
furn furn 456
cl cl 789
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You would normally use VLOOKUP for this. Assuming your values are in
columns A and B, then put this in B1 of Sheet1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

then copy it down. If there is a match, you will get the data from the
adjacent column, but with no match you will get #N/A.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 16, 10:40 pm, FER wrote:
I work with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs. I need to search one tab
and after locating the value return the value in the cell next to current tab.

tab 1 will be tab 2
cond cond 123
furn furn 456
cl cl 789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fer Fer is offline

Default How to search a spread sheet for a value and return the adjace

Pete thank you for your help. I have been looking at VLOOKUP and have tried
to make it work but my knowledge on this formula is lacking. Will the
formula work even if the the value isn't always in the same possition or cell
on the spreadsheet. Would it be possible to get an explanation on the
mechanics or the different items listed after VLOOKUP in the cell. I could
forward to you an example if that would help.

On Nov 16, 10:40 pm, FER wrote:
I work with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs. I need to search one tab
and after locating the value return the value in the cell next to current tab.

tab 1 will be tab 2
cond cond 123
furn furn 456
cl cl 789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fer Fer is offline

Pete I believe the light is on. Ha! Ha! I finally worked it out with your
example. I have 1 last request or question. Periotically my parts will have
a revision on them but the price and general discription doesn't change. Is
there a way to do a partial VLOOKUP such as a GSC130361A being looked up as a
GSC13036 with out the 1A revision at the end.
The cell in front of the formula will be in the formula.
=VLOOKUP(B11,SHEET1!A:B,2,0)

Thank you again for your help

On Nov 16, 10:40 pm, FER wrote:
I work with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs. I need to search one tab
and after locating the value return the value in the cell next to current tab.

tab 1 will be tab 2
cond cond 123
furn furn 456
cl cl 789

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could do it this way:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(B11,8),SHEET1!A:B,2,0)

i.e. it will look for a match on the first 8 characters of B11, rather
than the full value that is in B11.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 16, 10:40 pm, FER wrote:
I work with spreadsheets that have multiple tabs. I need to search one tab
and after locating the value return the value in the cell next to current tab.

tab 1 will be tab 2
cond cond 123
furn furn 456
cl cl 789- Hide quoted text -