Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to get a decimal point using Match command

I am doing a ranking (1,2,3,4) where 1 = 6 points, 2= 4.5 points, 3 = 3
points and a 4 = 1.5 points. Any suggestions on how I can capture the 4.5
and 1.5, I was using the Match function, where =MATCH(G12,{4,"b",3,2,"e",1},0)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"nynybmbc" wrote in message
I am doing a ranking (1,2,3,4) where 1 = 6 points, 2= 4.5 points, 3 = 3
points and a 4 = 1.5 points. Any suggestions on how I can capture the 4.5
and 1.5, I was using the Match function, where
=MATCH(G12,{4,"b",3,2,"e",1},0)

MATCH returns the relative position in an array, so by definition can only
return integers. You need a VLOOKUP.
Put your ranks (1,2,3,4) in (say) A1:A4 and the corresponding points
(6,4.5,3,1.5) in B1:B4. (You can choose some other convenient 4x2 area for
this - just alter the references).
Then use the formula
=VLOOKUP(G12,A1:B4,2,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Stephen" <none wrote in message
"nynybmbc" wrote in message
I am doing a ranking (1,2,3,4) where 1 = 6 points, 2= 4.5 points, 3 = 3
points and a 4 = 1.5 points. Any suggestions on how I can capture the
4.5
and 1.5, I was using the Match function, where
=MATCH(G12,{4,"b",3,2,"e",1},0)

MATCH returns the relative position in an array, so by definition can only
return integers. You need a VLOOKUP.
Put your ranks (1,2,3,4) in (say) A1:A4 and the corresponding points
(6,4.5,3,1.5) in B1:B4. (You can choose some other convenient 4x2 area for
this - just alter the references).
Then use the formula
=VLOOKUP(G12,A1:B4,2,0)

Or, if your ranking list will always be so short and you want to keep it all
in the formula, use
=VLOOKUP(G12,{1,6;2,4.5;3,3;4,1.5},2,0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your question is not entirely clear to me. Are you saying that in G12 you
have a number (1, 2, 3 or 4) and you want a formula to return a
corresponding value (6, 4.5, 3 or 1.5)? If so, this should work...

=1.5*(5-G12)

Rick

"nynybmbc" wrote in message
I am doing a ranking (1,2,3,4) where 1 = 6 points, 2= 4.5 points, 3 = 3
points and a 4 = 1.5 points. Any suggestions on how I can capture the 4.5
and 1.5, I was using the Match function, where
=MATCH(G12,{4,"b",3,2,"e",1},0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your help!

"Stephen" wrote:

"nynybmbc" wrote in message
I am doing a ranking (1,2,3,4) where 1 = 6 points, 2= 4.5 points, 3 = 3
points and a 4 = 1.5 points. Any suggestions on how I can capture the 4.5
and 1.5, I was using the Match function, where
=MATCH(G12,{4,"b",3,2,"e",1},0)

MATCH returns the relative position in an array, so by definition can only
return integers. You need a VLOOKUP.
Put your ranks (1,2,3,4) in (say) A1:A4 and the corresponding points
(6,4.5,3,1.5) in B1:B4. (You can choose some other convenient 4x2 area for
this - just alter the references).
Then use the formula
=VLOOKUP(G12,A1:B4,2,0)

How can I get a zero to appear after decimal point Mark0145 New Users to Excel 4 October 21st 06 12:47 AM
Decimal point David New Users to Excel 3 July 26th 06 05:02 PM
Converting 2-place decimal value to floating point decimal number with leading zero Kermit Piper Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 March 18th 06 06:20 PM
decimal point Diana Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 30th 05 09:11 PM
FIXED 2 DECIMAL PLACES, MUST ENTER ALL ZEROES AFTER DECIMAL POINT. SUKYKITTY Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 6th 05 01:50 PM