Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extracting number of hours as decimal...

I have a list of start and finish times.

I've subtracted the finish time from the start time to get the number of
hours an employee has worked.

This number of hours is given as 6:15 or 7:30, from this, how can I extract
6.25 or 7.5?

thank you for your help!

--
Dan Walters
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dan,

Multiply by 24 and format as General or Number, not as Time (which is what Excel does automatically)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"DanielWalters6" wrote in message
|I have a list of start and finish times.
|
| I've subtracted the finish time from the start time to get the number of
| hours an employee has worked.
|
| This number of hours is given as 6:15 or 7:30, from this, how can I extract
| 6.25 or 7.5?
|
| thank you for your help!
|

| --
| Dan Walters

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you for your help.

I knew it was something simple!

What is time saved as, before you multiply it?

Please explain what multiplying it does to the value - Im a little
confused...
--
Dan Walters

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Dan,

Multiply by 24 and format as General or Number, not as Time (which is what Excel does automatically)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"DanielWalters6" wrote in message
|I have a list of start and finish times.
|
| I've subtracted the finish time from the start time to get the number of
| hours an employee has worked.
|
| This number of hours is given as 6:15 or 7:30, from this, how can I extract
| 6.25 or 7.5?
|
| thank you for your help!
|

| --
| Dan Walters

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is time saved as, before you multiply it?
Please explain what multiplying it does to the value - Im a little
confused...

Times are stored as a fraction of a 24-hour day. E.g., 6:00 = 0.25, 12:00 =
0.5, 18:00 = 0.75, 24:00 = 1.0. By multiplying by 24, you get the decimal
number of hours, as in, 6:00 * 24 = 0.25 * 24 = 6.0.

See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm for much more about dates and
times in Excel.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Dan,

Multiply by 24 and format as General or Number, not as Time (which is
what Excel does automatically)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"DanielWalters6" wrote in
message
|I have a list of start and finish times.
|
| I've subtracted the finish time from the start time to get the number
of
| hours an employee has worked.
|
| This number of hours is given as 6:15 or 7:30, from this, how can I
extract
| 6.25 or 7.5?
|
| thank you for your help!
|

| --
| Dan Walters

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, your explanation was great, even I understood it! :)

--
Dan Walters