Bob

Default Excel-can't turn off multiple cell selection or add text/numbers

When I open a spread sheet and left click my mouse in a cell, I can't enter
any data. If I move the mouse, it highlights the cells the cursor touches
and I can't turn that off. Hitting the Esc key does nothing. I'm locked out
of all the toolbar functions. The only way I can terminated the program is
by going to task manager and 'end task'. The EXT indicator isn't on, but
even if it was, I should be able to get out of it by hitting F8. If I try to
X out of Excel by going off the page and selecting anything, the cells just
keep getting highlighted. Yes, I've reinstalled the program. I'm using
Windows XP Pro with Office 2003
Dave Peterson

Maybe the mouse is sticking (or the keyboard).

Try gently banging on the ctrl and shift keys and the wheel button on the mouse.

If that doesn't work, David McRitchie has a bunch of notes that deal with the
misbehavior of mice and excel.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

--

Dave Peterson