Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help with a SUM formula...

I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell. When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like the IF has a problem because its value should be included in SUM
Show us the IF formula
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Christina" wrote in message
I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an
IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell.
When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What does the IF formula look like?

I'll bet the result of your IF formula is TEXT. Does it look something like
this:

=IF(A1100,"100","0")

Notice the quotes around the numeric values. That means they're TEXT values
not numeric values and a SUM function would ignore those values.

If you have quotes around numeric values in your IF formula remove them:

=IF(A1100,100,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Christina" wrote in message
I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an
IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell.
When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:36:00 -0800, Christina
wrote:

I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell. When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!

Post the IF formula. Probably it's returning text instead of a number.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's the formula I'm using:

=IF(E280,"25",IF(E28=0,-))

The formula is doing exactly what it should. I just want the 25 added into
the sum when applicable.

Thanks!
Christina

"Christina" wrote:

I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell. When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(E280,25,IF(E28=0,-))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200756

"Christina" wrote:

I'm trying to sum up a column but one of the cells in the sum range has an IF
formula in it. I need the total sum to include the value of this cell. When I
do the simple sum formula it doesn't include it in the total. How do I get
this to work for me??

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:07:00 -0800, Christina
wrote:

Here's the formula I'm using:

=IF(E280,"25",IF(E28=0,-))

The formula is doing exactly what it should. I just want the 25 added into
the sum when applicable.

Thanks!
Christina

As was pointed out by many, when your IF formula is returning TEXT rather than
a number.

If you enclose a value within double quotes, that value is TEXT, and not a
NUMBER.

SUM function ignores TEXT, so will not add it.

If you want the result of your IF function to be treated as a number, you must
have it return a number. e.g.:

=IF(E280,25,IF ...)

--ron