Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Functions in a pivot table

Hi

I'm doing a pivottable. In the "values" field, I can choose between
calculating the max, the mean, the standard deviation etc. But is there some
way in which I can define my own funtions? For example, I'd like to calculate
the median?

Another thing: I'd like to make a graph that only uses the numbers in the
pivottable, i.e., it changes when I change the parameters in the table. Is
that possible?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Christian

If I understand, both things are possible (I am letting you know this for
2003 version)

1) You can define your own function in a PT and these then appear as new
fields to place where you want. In the pivot table toolbar (this should
appear when you select a PT) Look for formulas and calculated field. The
dialog takes a bit of getting used to, but should be ok if you have got as
far as a PT anyhow.

2) Just build a pivot chart from you pivot table (again via the PT toolbar)
and any changes you make to the PT will reflect in the chart

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

UK Excel User Conference In Cambridge
November 28th - December 1st 2007
Register Now @ http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

"Christian Stassen" <Christian wrote in
message ...
Hi

I'm doing a pivottable. In the "values" field, I can choose between
calculating the max, the mean, the standard deviation etc. But is there
some
way in which I can define my own funtions? For example, I'd like to
calculate
the median?

Another thing: I'd like to make a graph that only uses the numbers in the
pivottable, i.e., it changes when I change the parameters in the table. Is
that possible?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Nick

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried, but can't seem to makeit do it
right. The thing is, I have a lot of interest rates. I have calculated the
average of these rates via the standard formula. But now I want to calculate
the media of these rates. I tried going through the steps you mentioned, but
when I was in "calculated field", I made a new field called median, and in
the formula line i wrote =median(IRR). But instead of giving me the median of
all the IRR's it gave me the median of the individual ones, to which I could
then apply the standard formulas.. How do I get around this?

Thanks