Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 1 Heading for 2 columns

Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:30:00 -0800 from Beth
:
Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?

Yes.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:35:01 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:30:00 -0800 from Beth
:
Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?

Yes.

Now that I've answered the question you asked, here's what you really
want to know: Highlight the two cells, right-click and select Format
Cells. On the Alignment tab, select Merge.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just carefully follow Stan instructions and is done.
--
Can''''t hear the Rain ?
Then listen to it.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:35:01 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:30:00 -0800 from Beth
:
Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?

Yes.

Now that I've answered the question you asked, here's what you really
want to know: Highlight the two cells, right-click and select Format
Cells. On the Alignment tab, select Merge.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many experts on this group would recommend avoiding merged cells like the
plague. May be safer to use Format/ Cells/ Alignment/ Centre Across
Selection.
--
David Biddulph

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:35:01 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:30:00 -0800 from Beth
:
Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?

Yes.

Now that I've answered the question you asked, here's what you really
want to know: Highlight the two cells, right-click and select Format
Cells. On the Alignment tab, select Merge.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:45:00 -0800 from Beth
:

"Stan Brown" wrote:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:35:01 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:30:00 -0800 from Beth
:
Is it possible to have 1 heading for 2 columns?

Yes.

Now that I've answered the question you asked, here's what you really
want to know: Highlight the two cells, right-click and select Format
Cells. On the Alignment tab, select Merge.

How do I do it? Or can you tell me where can I find out how?

You quoted my answer to your question. It's usually a good idea to
read an article before you post a follow-up query.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:11:22 -0000 from <"David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk:
Many experts on this group would recommend avoiding merged cells like the
plague.

I wouldn't call myself an expert -- high intermediate at best. Can
you enlighten me, please? What's wrong with merged cells?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Merged cells cause no end of problems with sorting, copying, pasting, filtering
and a host of other functions, one of which is you can't use array formulas on a
range with merged cells.

To experiment, merge a few cells and try the above functions with a range that
has merged and unmerged cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:11:08 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:11:22 -0000 from <"David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk:
Many experts on this group would recommend avoiding merged cells like the
plague.

I wouldn't call myself an expert -- high intermediate at best. Can
you enlighten me, please? What's wrong with merged cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:05:19 -0800 from <Gord Dibben
<gorddibbATshawDOTca:

wrote:
I wouldn't call myself an expert -- high intermediate at best. Can
you enlighten me, please? What's wrong with merged cells?

Merged cells cause no end of problems with sorting, copying,
pasting, filtering and a host of other functions, one of which is
you can't use array formulas on a range with merged cells.

To experiment, merge a few cells and try the above functions with a
range that has merged and unmerged cells.

Thanks, Gord.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/