Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sharing an Excel file among 3-5 users

I've read and read and cannot agree with the simplified comments made by
folks saying that you should just "turn on" Review , Sharework book to allow
others to open a file while you have it open so they can update it as well.

this occurs for me now as an Excel 2007 user and occured for me in the past
when I used Excel 2003.

When the second person opens the file for editing, they receive the Warning
- it is locked for xxxxx, and asks if you want to Open Read ONly or Be
Notified when it is ready. WHICH DO YOU DO if you are needing to update your
part of the spreadsheet while the original person still has their files open?

Believe me I have tried both and I am missing something. When I chose
NOTIFY, the file opens anyway, I make my changes/additions in my cells......
then what do I do if I am done and ready for it to be submitted back to the
Master file? ?(My originator still has it open!!) I am clicking on SAVE and
it warns me that it can't be saved because it is locked my another user.
DUHHH!!! So it suggests a new file name "Copy of Original name.xlsx" so I
can save it else where.
I DON'T WANT TO SAVE IT ELSEWHERE! I want it to be merged back in with the
original when it gets closed.

Do i have do keep my Spreadsheet open? And wait till I am notified that it
the originator is finished so that now I can move to Read-Write mode? I
tried that. I moves to Read-Write mode and Warns me "Hey. your recent
changes are about to be lost, if you accept the master file."..

Help. I am missing something aren't i?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am missing something aren't i?

When a "shared workbook" is opened by a second person he should get no
warning. All he should see that is different is that the caption of the
workbook is something like "Book1.xlsx [Shared]".

Try this by yourself. Open two instances of Excel. In the first make a new
empty workbook shared and saved it on your local hard drive. Then open it
in second instance of Excel with it still open in the first.

If this is successful I'd suggest trying the same thing but saving on a
network drive. If this does not work then it seems to be a network issue,
and I'm out of my depth as to the cause, but of course network rights would
seem to be something to look at. If it does work but fails if a second
person tries to open it, then again it seems to be a network issue.

--
Jim
"jsky" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK Jim,

It worked when I did it myself from my harddrive (desktop). I am thankful to
at least see how it is supposed to work.
Next I tried pulling it myself from a Network drive (not particularly
Sharepoint - i didn't want to add that variable). BUt I got the lock
warning. Actually it was more cryptic than the friendly lock warning with
decision to be Notified. Instead it just said something like Warning Sharing
violation. I know you don't claim to be a network expert, but is there a
Community Board for this as well? I don't see one.

Thanks for your help.