Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Restrict / Stop Printing

Is it possible to stop anyone from printing a document?
I need to issue out a revised and updated document in excel but i don't want
people to be able to print it - can this be done without using macros as
people have the option to enable/disable macros?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Everything in XL is printable and there is not much you can do about it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Phendrena" wrote:

Is it possible to stop anyone from printing a document?
I need to issue out a revised and updated document in excel but i don't want
people to be able to print it - can this be done without using macros as
people have the option to enable/disable macros?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks for the reply.
I've been doing some digging and have come across information about adding a
VB Script that will stop anyone from printing, which is useful, but when
using VB people can of course not allow the macro to run....

"Phendrena" wrote:

Is it possible to stop anyone from printing a document?
I need to issue out a revised and updated document in excel but i don't want
people to be able to print it - can this be done without using macros as
people have the option to enable/disable macros?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a BeforePrint Event that is triggered in XL. It inclues a parameter
to cancel the print job, but as you say if macros are not enabled then it
will not work. You can make it very difficult even with the macros issue but
there is nothing 100% fool proof.

What you can do is to set up the spreadsheet to have all sheets VeryHidden
(can not be accessed by the user without getting into the VBA) except for one
sheet that informs the users that macros must be enabled to use this
workbook. You have a macro that on open unhides all of the sheets and hides
the instruction sheet. If macros are enabled then they never see the sheet
that tells them they need to enable macros. If they do not enable macros then
they can not (easily) get at the data sheets. With macros enabled it is easy
to stop the printing... post back if you want the code to do something like
this...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson