Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table Not Working

I have been using the same Excel workbook for 10 years, across three Excel
versions, and 2 OSs. About three times a month, I create the same pivot
table from a database (a named range) on a worksheet.
I have a brand new Dell Vista laptop with Office 2007. I consider myself an
expert Excel user. But when I create the very simple, two-column pivot table
now, the resulting table misses more than half the records in the database.
And the 100s of records it does miss are not necessarily consecutive records
in the database.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what the fix is? I guess I'm
naive, but why would a simple transition to a newer version of Excel not
work on something I haven't changed in 10 years?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are there any filters on the pivot table?
To remove all the filters:
Select a cell in the pivot table
On the Ribbon, click the Options tab
In the Actions group, click Clear, then click Clear All

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I solved the mystery. To test what I thought might work, I copied the entire
database into a new Excel file, named the range of data including the column
headers, then ran the pivot table on the named range. It worked, with all of
the data pivoted correctly. Of course, what to do with the other 10 tabs in
the original workbook?

Well, I just went back into my original Excel file, copied each of the 5 key
data columns (i.e., fields) in the database, and then just pasted values into
the same columns. All of these columns have data that are key entered, not
formulas, so the pasting did not lose anything (only the time trying to
figure out what to do).

Sort of like rebooting, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for advise.

Ed