Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Wrapping text at end of page, and cells widths different when printout

1/ I have a few cells with long text in them, which is longer than the
width of the page when I print out. How can I get the text to wrap at the
right side of the page?

2/ Also when I print out, the cell widths come out a little different from
on the screen. E.g. if I have two cells adjacent on the same row, one with
the word "green" in one and the next with the word "yellow". On the screen
the "n" at the end of green might be just overlapping the "y" at the start
of yellow, but when I print out there is a gap between the "n" and the "y".
It makes it difficult to know how wide to make cells on the screen because I
don't know how wide they will appear on the paper until I printout. Have
experimented with fonts Arial and Times New Roman and same thing happens
with both, so I assume nothing to do with fonts. Is there an easy way round
this?

Thanks for any advice

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Wrapping text at end of page, and cells widths different when prin

I am not sure about the 2nd question, but for your first problem with the
wrapping just highlight the cells that you would like to wrap the text than
click on: format - cells- allignment tab- than check the box that says wrap
text.

"david" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"jpmurray22" wrote in message
I am not sure about the 2nd question, but for your first problem with the
wrapping just highlight the cells that you would like to wrap the text
than
click on: format - cells- allignment tab- than check the box that says
wrap
text.

Thanks for replying. When i do it it wraps the text to the narrow cell
boundaries
but I would like to wrap to the right boundary of the page.
Sorry I'm new to this and may be not explaining well.

Row1 contains Cell1 Cell2 Cell3 ...... Cell10 | edge of page
Row2 contains Long sentence of text all in Cell1 going right across page and
beyond right boundary of page
Row3 contains Cell1 Cell2 Cell3 ...... Cell10 | edge of page

In Row2 there is nothing in Cell2 ... Cell 10.

When I print out the long sentence gets cut off the right of the page.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David

Row heights and column widths are properties of the entire row and column so you
can't have A1 a different width than A2.

Or A1 a different height than B1

Insert a row below row 2 and copy half the text into that row.

Excel has no built-in function to do what you want unless you <shudder merge
the cells across columns.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP