Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to add a zero infront of a number

How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CYNTHIA

Place an apostrophe first then your number (the apostrophe will not show on
the sheet but will be seen in the formula bar), or formate the cell as text.

Mike Rogers

"CYNTHIA" wrote:

How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"CYNTHIA" wrote in message
How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

If what you want is always to display three digits (with any necessary
leading digits showing zero), format the cell as 000.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

select the cells and go to format cells(ctrl+1) and select "number" tab
select the custom.
give 000 in "type" option box.

"CYNTHIA" wrote:

How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either format the cell as text before you enter the number, or
Format the cell as 000 if you want it to be 3 digits, or
Use a helper column with the formula ="0"&A1

The 1st & 3rd suggestions leave the cell as text, so you couldn't use it for
calculations; the 2nd would still be a number.
--
David Biddulph

"CYNTHIA" wrote in message
How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But if you want it to still behave as numeric, you could apply the custom
format of "0"0 to those cells.

Rob

"CYNTHIA" wrote in message
this is fast and works

"CYNTHIA" wrote:

How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your help.

"RobN" wrote:

But if you want it to still behave as numeric, you could apply the custom
format of "0"0 to those cells.

Rob

"CYNTHIA" wrote in message
this is fast and works

"CYNTHIA" wrote:

How do I add a zero infront of a number.

For example I want the number to be read like this:

012

But i type in excel it shows up as 12.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CYNTHIA

Glad you got it sorted out, thanks for the feed back!!

Mike Rogers

"CYNTHIA" wrote:

this is fast and works