Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Best way to insert rows

Hi,

Suppose I have a simple spread sheet where A1-A4,B1-B4 and C1-C4 have
various numbers.

A5 has the formula = SUM(A1:A4). B5 and C5 have similar formula to sum
their rows.

I now have a simple question.

I want to insert 4 rows after row 4 to enter new data into the 3
columns (12 cells). The formula which was in A5 will be moved to A9
(similar for cols B and C).

I can enter the rows OK by selecting 4 rows from A5 to A8 then
selecting the menus Insert / Rows.

However, when I do this, the formulae still refer to =SUM(A1:A4) and
not =SUM(A1:A8).

What is the best way to insert rows and adjust the formulae
automatically?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Keep the last row blank. Always include that in your sum formula. If
you insert/delete rows above the blank row, the formula will adjust
itself to included added/deleted rows.
AQIB RIZVI

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 4 Nov, 11:40, JP wrote:
=SUM(OFFSET(A1,0,0,ROW()-1,1))

HTH,
JP

On Nov 4, 6:22 am, John Google wrote:

Thanks JP. I like that solution as I don't like to leave blank rows. I
adjust the width / height of the column / row to provide my spacing.

John.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 4 Nov, 11:41, Aqib Rizvi wrote:
Keep the last row blank. Always include that in your sum formula. If
you insert/delete rows above the blank row, the formula will adjust
itself to included added/deleted rows.
AQIB RIZVI

Thanks for your feedback AQIB. See the post by JP for a different
solution.