Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default merging contents of two cells together

How do I take the content of two cells and merge them into one cell. For
example, lets say I have two colums first name, last name and I want to put
them together in one new column?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cclarke57

Take a look at Concatenate(), It should do what you need!

Mike Rogers

"cclarke57" wrote:

How do I take the content of two cells and merge them into one cell. For
example, lets say I have two colums first name, last name and I want to put
them together in one new column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

Lets say column A contains the first name and column B contains the last
name. Put in a cell this formula and copy down as needed: =A1&" "&B1 .If you
want to put a coma between the first and the last name use this formula:
=A1&", "&B1

Tim

"cclarke57" wrote:

How do I take the content of two cells and merge them into one cell. For
example, lets say I have two colums first name, last name and I want to put
them together in one new column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Clarke,

If you want to permanently concatenate the last and first names, you've been given
suggestions. But I recommend you reconsider. You'll have trouble sorting by last name,
looking up by last name, etc. Splitting them later will be much more difficult. Better to
keep them separate in your table, then concatenate them wherever needed elsewhere.

--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...