Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sort by month on pivot report

I have a pivot report where customers are listed alphabetically in rows, and
the columns are sorted alphabetically, too. Trouble is, the columns are
months, and I want to sort Jan, Feb, etc, but it's sorting alphabeticcally.
The column headings come from a datamart list and are : Apr 05, Aug 05, and
so on on. Is it the "05" that won't let me sort by month? Any work arounds?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your headings are just text strings. The pivot table has no idea that they
are months. Even if you changed them to just Apr instead of Apr 05, they
would still just be text strings. Assuming that you do not want to just drag
the months into their approporiate spots you will probably want to coerce
your text strings into actual dates. From your post it is a little unclear if
you are returning the data to XL and then pivoting from that or if your pivot
is connected directly to the data mart. In either case you should be able to
make the switch but how you do it depends on which way you have created the
table.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gimpy815" wrote:

I have a pivot report where customers are listed alphabetically in rows, and
the columns are sorted alphabetically, too. Trouble is, the columns are
months, and I want to sort Jan, Feb, etc, but it's sorting alphabeticcally.
The column headings come from a datamart list and are : Apr 05, Aug 05, and
so on on. Is it the "05" that won't let me sort by month? Any work arounds?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

ToolsOptionsCustom Listscreate a list in the white pane of Jan 05, Feb 05
....... Dec 05Add
continue the series through 06 and 07 if required.

On the PT, double click on the filed headingadvancedAutosortAscending
--
Regards
Roger Govier