Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Are relative file locations possible in linking workbooks?

1st: At my company there is no network...that's right. No shared drives
(and this isn't a small company).

So...

How do I link workbooks together with a relative path so I can send them to
someone else and still have them work.

I.E. if I want a cell in Workbook 2 to be the same as a cell in Workbook 1 I
simply enter

=

and click on the cell in Workbook 1.

What Excel translates that to is ='C:\Documents and Settings\Tallen\My
Documents\Reports\Commercial Discharges\[WorkbookName & Cell Range]')

I need to be able to EMAIL both of these documents to someone and have them
function. I've tried deleting all of the extra pathname garbage from the
formula so hopefully the workbook would just look in the same directory it is
in for the other file...but that doesn't work, Excel just puts the path
information right back in after I delete it.

So is there a way to get Excel to look for a file RELATIVE to its current
location (like the same directory) rather than at a full FIXED PATH?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:17:01 -0700, Angyl
wrote:

No, there isn't. You can use RagDyer's suggestion to combine the sheets into a
single workbook. If you don't do that, then the user will have to put the
files in whatever directory they choose, then open the book with the links and
go to Edit/Links to correct the path to the linked workbook.

So is there a way to get Excel to look for a file RELATIVE to its current
location (like the same directory) rather than at a full FIXED PATH?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't. I'm doing running reports for the
company and they are done on a weekly basis, i.e. I'm working on the report
from 10-26 to 11-1 now and when I'm done with it (today) on Monday I will
start the report that covers the period 11-2 through 11-8.

If I combined them, you can see how very quickly this workbook would be
fairly massive in size...hmmm...maybe I'll talk to my boss about doing a
single workbook monthly with the weeks divided into sheets...

Thanks!

"Angyl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Myrna Larson" wrote:

No, there isn't. You can use RagDyer's suggestion to combine the sheets into a
single workbook. If you don't do that, then the user will have to put the
files in whatever directory they choose, then open the book with the links and
go to Edit/Links to correct the path to the linked workbook.

Suckage. Thanks for the info.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That single, monthly WB is a good idea.

However, what I meant was:
***Combine the 2 WBs *just* for the sending (e-mailing).***

XL *automatically* adjusts the links !

On the receiving end, simply separate them !

XL *automatically* adjusts the links ... *again* ! ! !
--

HTH,

RD

"Angyl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sk sk is offline

I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this solution. I'm going to
attempt to do it tomorrow. I also so this webpage:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328440 but haven't gone through it
completely.