-   -   Improving Excel Stability (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/164269-improving-excel-stability.html)

Ken

Improving Excel Stability

I have sets of data in both Columns A & B. Column C is Column B divided by
Column A. ie... C1=B1/A1. In some cases the data in Column A are equal to
zero. What formula do I use to have C=B/A except when the answer would result
in " #DIV/0! " in which case I would like the cells to be clean as in " ". I
assume this makes the worksheet more stable, correct?

--
Ken

Gary''s Student

Improving Excel Stability

=IF(A1=0," ",B1/A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200752

"Ken" wrote:

I have sets of data in both Columns A & B. Column C is Column B divided by
Column A. ie... C1=B1/A1. In some cases the data in Column A are equal to
zero. What formula do I use to have C=B/A except when the answer would result
in " #DIV/0! " in which case I would like the cells to be clean as in " ". I
assume this makes the worksheet more stable, correct?

--
Ken

David Biddulph[_2_]

Improving Excel Stability

=IF(A1=0," ",B1/A1)

You may prefer to use "" rather than " ".
--
David Biddulph

"Ken" wrote in message
I have sets of data in both Columns A & B. Column C is Column B divided by
Column A. ie... C1=B1/A1. In some cases the data in Column A are equal to
zero. What formula do I use to have C=B/A except when the answer would
result
in " #DIV/0! " in which case I would like the cells to be clean as in " ".
assume this makes the worksheet more stable, correct?

--
Ken

Gord Dibben

Improving Excel Stability

Ken

=IF(A1=0,"",B1/A1)

Note the double quotes with no space between.

You don't want a space, just a blank-looking cell.

The space would most likely give you problems in downstream calculations or when
sorting, filtering and other functions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP