Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
hmm hmm is offline

Default Replace text with formula

I have a column of formulas in text format, like this:

'=$F92-$F$89

with an apostrophe before the equal sign. I want to convert these to real
formulas by removing the apostrophe. Unfortunately, when I do a find/replace
of '= with =, Excel tells me it can't find it; same with replacing ' with
null string.

Does anyone know how to convert such strings to formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column of text formulas, then, from the menu bar:

<Data <Text To Columns <Finish

And you're done!
--

HTH,

RD

"hmm" wrote in message
I have a column of formulas in text format, like this:

'=$F92-$F$89

with an apostrophe before the equal sign. I want to convert these to real
formulas by removing the apostrophe. Unfortunately, when I do a
find/replace
of '= with =, Excel tells me it can't find it; same with replacing ' with
null string.

Does anyone know how to convert such strings to formulas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Highlight the cells with your "text formulas" in them and then select
Data/TextToColumns from Excel's menu bar. On the dialog box that appears,
select the "Fixed width" option button and click on the number scale
anywhere to the right of your longest line of text (in order to create a
separating vertical line) and click Next; make sure that the "General"
option button is selected for you column of text and click Finish. Your
"text formulas" should now be real formulas.

Rick