Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can I find the minium date in column B subject to data in Colu

I want to select the minium date in column B (excluding blanks) and subject
to matching a document type listed in Column A. How can I do this

A B
ABC 28/10/06
ABC 01/01/07
ABC
ABC 25/07/07
ADE 15/05/07
ADE
ADE 28/02/07

Desired Result (separate worksheet)
A B
ABC 28/10/06
ADC 28/02/07

Thanks

--
Gwyn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 26, 7:16 pm, Gwynneth
wrote:
I want to select the minium date in column B (excluding blanks) and subject
to matching a document type listed in Column A. How can I do this

A B
ABC 28/10/06
ABC 01/01/07
ABC
ABC 25/07/07
ADE 15/05/07
ADE
ADE 28/02/07

Desired Result (separate worksheet)
A B
ABC 28/10/06
ADC 28/02/07

Thanks

--
Gwyn

1. Perform an advanced filter on Column A to select unique values and
copy data to an empty column (ie C). then move these data to the new
worksheet, in column A.
2. Sort data of first worksheet in ascending order based on Column B
3. Go to second sheet and import this formula into cell B1:
=VLOOKUP(A1;Sheet1!A:B;2;0)
4. Copy this formula for every row of the new sheet.

Vlookup returns only the first value it finds for a matching value. If
your data is already sorted in ascending order, it will always return
the minimum date.

Best

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Create a Pivot Table. For example: