Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Scientific notation of CSV

There was a post like this from last year, but it only details the workaround
of changing the .csv to a .txt file.

Is there a setting or anything else that would not attempt to change a long
digit (like a zipcode or phone) into a scientific number when importing from
a .CSV file - but leave it as a full number? (or text string of digits)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you import it using dataimport external dataimport data, then type *.*
in the file name box, then browse until you find your file, open it this way
then the text import wizard will start and you can import these values as
text under column data format

Peo Sjoblom

"FASTWRX" wrote in message
There was a post like this from last year, but it only details the
workaround
of changing the .csv to a .txt file.

Is there a setting or anything else that would not attempt to change a
long
digit (like a zipcode or phone) into a scientific number when importing
from
a .CSV file - but leave it as a full number? (or text string of digits)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Almost

Thank you . . . that will work, but it's still extra steps we're trying to
avoid. I'm thinking there isn't a setting to standardize the import of all
fields as text? (not each time)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could record a macro while you do the manual steps once, and then
in future you will be able to re-run the macro to import the data how
you want it. You may need to edit the recorded macro so that you can
have a different filename etc next time.

Hope this helps.

Pete