Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text searching in Excel?

Hello all,

I use Microsoft excel for maintaining a list of names of customers and other
information. This list is growing (hundreds of names now) and I am wondering
if there is any text search option, like in Word. I would like to search for
a customer's name and go to their row in the list. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help
Svatopluk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A) Have you experimented with Edit | Find ?

B) Would you like to be able to enter name in a cell and have address
returned? If so have a look at VLOOKUP. But you must have a consistent way
of entering the names.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Svatopluk" wrote in message
Hello all,

I use Microsoft excel for maintaining a list of names of customers and
other
information. This list is growing (hundreds of names now) and I am
wondering
if there is any text search option, like in Word. I would like to search
for
a customer's name and go to their row in the list. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help
Svatopluk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard,
You have just made my job a thousand times easier. Thank you very much for
your help. The Edit / Find option was exactly what I was looking for.
Unfortunately, I am using a language version of this software that is not my
mother tongue. Thanks for the pointers.
Svatopluk

"Svatopluk" wrote in message
Hello all,

I use Microsoft excel for maintaining a list of names of customers and
other
information. This list is growing (hundreds of names now) and I am
wondering
if there is any text search option, like in Word. I would like to search
for
a customer's name and go to their row in the list. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help
Svatopluk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are most welcome!