Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Protection with different passwords

I have a worksheet that I use for a staffing schedule (a column of name
followed by columns of dates). I have protected each ropw with a password
(that person's initials) simply to avoid them changing the wrong schedule by
acident. However, when they open the sheet, some are required to input the
password (when they try to use the drop-down list on the protected row) and
some are not. I cannot figure out why all don't have to input a password.

More info: Each row's password is different (for instance, John Smith's
name is follwed by 28 days of cells with drop-down lists for input of
shifts). To eidt those cells, a password box pops up and you would endte
"js". Simple, not complicated (and could be changed by anyone, not just John
Smith). Each row is protected in a similar manner. Why would all not need
to follow the same rules???

Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's difficult to say why it's behaving this way without seeing the code, and
perhaps even a sample workbook.

As for the general logic, obviously the worksheet itself can really only
have one password and I presume when entering the password in the dropdown
that this is simply acting as a 'gateway' or trigger for your code to
unprotect the entire sheet (or unprotecting sheet, unlocking that row, then
reprotecting the sheet). One question becomes - how do you get the
sheet/rows back into locked and protected state after a user has made changes
to their row? It could be that after one person makes changes, the entire
sheet is not getting locked/protected again? That would allow others to make
changes without entering their password.