Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default VLookUp help!

Hi...I need some assistance with a VLookUP issue. I am trying to figure out
how to use this formula to return info...I need to be able to match text from
one cell to text on multiple cells on worksheets within the same book and
return a different value! More info...I need to see if a "users" name appears
on any other worksheet and if it does I need to see the users "title" on the
return info not their name! e.g. on worksheet "a" cell E3 I want to display
my results...matching the data in B3 "user name" (worksheet a) with B3 (also
user name) on worksheets b, c, d, etc but I want it to return the info from
C3 on those sheets - which is "user title". I need to see that data in
worksheet a cell E3....Is Vlookup the way to go for this? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You would normally use VLOOKUP if you have table containing several
names in your other worksheets, but from your description it seems as
if the name you are looking for will always be in B3 of the other
sheets. If that is the case you could use something like this in E3 of
sheet a:

=IF(B3=b!B3,b!E3,IF(B3=c!B3,c!E3,IF(B3=d!B3,d!E3," not present")))

You can extend the format of this formula to include other sheets,
though you will be limited to a maximum of 7 nested IFs if you are
using Excel 2003 or earlier.

Hope this helps.

Pete