Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Haven't you asked this already? And been given several (very similar)
answers?

One way:

Array Enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B1000="Active",A1:A1000))

In article m,
wx4usa wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try one of these. Assuming there are no empty cells within the range:

=SUMIF(B1:B1000,"Active",A1:A1000)/COUNTIF(B1:B1000,"Active")

Or this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B1000="Active",A1:A1000))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"wx4usa" wrote in message
s.com...
Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's no AVERAGEIF function, but there are SUMIF and COUNTIF functions. So,
assuming your numbers are in A1:A6, and the statuses are in B1:B6, the
formula would be:

=SUMIF(B1:B6,"Active",A1:A6)/COUNTIF(B1:B6,"Active")

--
* Please click Yes if this was helpful *
Andy Smith

"wx4usa" wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is an AVERAGEIF function, it was introduced in Excel 2007 and of
course one can use

=AVERAGE(IF(B1:B6="Active",A1:A6)) entered with ctrl + shift & enter

but the OP doesn't know how to use the CDO (webinterface of the newsgroups)
since he asked basically the same question yesterday and got 3 answers then

Peo Sjoblom

"wx4usa" wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"wx4usa" wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Actually my post yesterday was different. It was referring to MAX IF.
Sorry all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well if the solution to conditional MAX was given yesterday one might have
thought that you at least could have tried the same technique and just
replace MAX with AVERAGE, no?

Peo Sjoblom

ups.com...

"wx4usa" wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Actually my post yesterday was different. It was referring to MAX IF.
Sorry all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 23, 2:21 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Well if the solution to conditional MAX was given yesterday one might have
thought that you at least could have tried the same technique and just
replace MAX with AVERAGE, no?

Peo Sjoblom

ups.com...

"wx4usa" wrote:

Average IF? A1:A1000 has numbers - B1:B1000 has Active or Inactive.
How do I run an average of column A's numbers that correspond to
column B's active?

25 Active
34 Active
60 Inactive
20 Active
65 Inactive
90 Active

Actually my post yesterday was different. It was referring to MAX IF.
Sorry all.

Peo, Yes, I understand now. I guess thats why am am posting/asking
questions and not answering them. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed
as they say down home. Im not an expert for sure.
Thank you so much for your patience and help. I appreciate it very
much! Hal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peo, Yes, I understand now. I guess thats why am am posting/asking
questions and not answering them. Im not the sharpest tool in the shed
as they say down home. Im not an expert for sure.
Thank you so much for your patience and help. I appreciate it very
much! Hal

No problems Hal, you are a very courteous man and I apologize if I sounded a
bit harsh.
It just that many of us regulars feel like it is wasted time, not
particularly in your case but sometimes
when you do something that is rather complicated and maybe even spend 30-60
minutes (or even more) helping out with a solution only to notice later that
the same person posted the same question in another newsgroup 2 hours
earlier and that he/she got an answer already.
One tip I can give, it is always better if you acknowledge if the suggested
solution did work by posting to the same thread. While I realize that you
use the Google web interface most of the regulars use a dedicated newsreader
and it is easier for us if we see that the solution worked and if it didn't
what didn't work (wrong result etc)

Anyway, glad it worked for you

All the Best

Peo