Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sorting atuofilter incorrect output

When I sort 2 columns in a table I get the correct output. eg sorting for
Llandudno in column puts all 13 typed entries of Conway Road above each
other in the second row. When I apply autofilter to the whole table and
select Llandudno I get 2 alphanumeric sets with 3 Conwy Roads in the first
set and 10 in the second set. All entries have been typed by the same person
on the same machine. Formatting appears to be identical but something must be
different, as when I copy one of the top ones and paste over the bottom ones
they all group properly. We have recently upgraded the department to Office
2003. Is there some inconsistency I should look for? I have come across a few
other ones due to the upgrade in other departments

Does anyone have any suggestions
--
Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I assume it's not as simple as the difference between Conwy and Conway, as
you've mentioned both? [The joys of a bilingual country!]

If not, one thing which can make apparently identical things behave
differently is if you've got trailing spaces or non-printing characters. It
might be worth checking the length of the string in the various rows.
=LEN(A1) will do that for you, and see whether it ties up with the length
you expect.
--
David Biddulph

"Big Mac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Length = 11 in all cases. One correction though - the autofilter is not an
issue it just highlighted the problem. the issue is just incorrect sorting in
second column after 1st column then second column sort. Thanks for trying.
There is definitely something different in the inputs as when I copy and
paste into the separated cells the sort works fine. There are no obvious
spelling or formatting differences
--

"Big Mac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You were right. I just checked the lenth of the first column, "Llandudno" and
the separated rows have an extra space after it.
Brilliant- thanks
---