Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rey Rey is offline

Default Printer

My Excel 2002 will not let me Print Preview, add a Header/Footer, or go into
Page Setup all because I don't have a printer. This shouldn't matter should
it? What can I do to fix it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need an installed printer for Excel to know how much of the paper it can
print on, how it can layout the page etc. However, after installing you can
probably disconnect it and everything should work fine.

I have one printer that I share with 2 computers. I installed it on a USB
ports and have discovered an advantage. I leave it disconnected while I am
testing code that creates print jobs. It places the print job in the tray and
I just open it and cancel the print job saving me heaps of paper and toner
during testing. (Of course final testing does need the printer connected to
ensure that it does print what I expect.)

My suggestion is that you try to borrow a printer that connects via USB and
install it and the drivers and then you can disconnect and return it to its
owner. Your problem should then be solved until you really need to print
something.

One of my computers I has Windows XP with Office 2002.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Rey" wrote:

My Excel 2002 will not let me Print Preview, add a Header/Footer, or go into
Page Setup all because I don't have a printer. This shouldn't matter should
it? What can I do to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you may install one of the PDF "printers" available on the
Internet?

Rey wrote:

My Excel 2002 will not let me Print Preview, add a Header/Footer, or go into
Page Setup all because I don't have a printer. This shouldn't matter should
it? What can I do to fix it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't need a physical printer, just a default printer driver.

Set one up through SrartSettings?Printers and faxes.

Pick a fairly generic printer.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP