Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel is rounding off more than 16 digits ?

I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while opening a file where
more than 16 digits are there, excel automatically converts digits to 0 after
16th digits. Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue.

e.g. if my number is 20071022123456789 it is automatically converts to
20071022123456700, last two digits 89 is automatically takes it as 00.

How is it possible to take full number ........ 20071022123456789 ?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel is limited to 15 digits of precision -- anything beyond that is
rounded. This is based on the industry standard Floating Point
Specification, and occurs in most software, not just Excel. If you don't
need to do math with the numbers, you can precede the number with an
apostrophe ('). This will not show in the cell but will show in the formula
bar. Of course, if you try to do math with the numbers, you'll have rounding
problems. See www.cpearson.com/Excel/Rounding.htm

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Vijay Kotian" wrote in message
I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while opening a file where
more than 16 digits are there, excel automatically converts digits to 0
after
16th digits. Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue.

e.g. if my number is 20071022123456789 it is automatically converts to
20071022123456700, last two digits 89 is automatically takes it as 00.

How is it possible to take full number ........ 20071022123456789 ?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Indeed Excel's precision is 15 decimal digits.
If you need larger numbers, like credit card numbers, make them text. Either pre-format the cell as text or precede the number
with an apostrophe (which will not show in the cell).
Note that you can't calculate with these text-numbers.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Vijay Kotian" wrote in message ...
|I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while opening a file where
| more than 16 digits are there, excel automatically converts digits to 0 after
| 16th digits. Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue.
|
| e.g. if my number is 20071022123456789 it is automatically converts to
| 20071022123456700, last two digits 89 is automatically takes it as 00.
|
| How is it possible to take full number ........ 20071022123456789 ?
|
| Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 05:51:02 -0700, Vijay Kotian
wrote:

I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while opening a file where
more than 16 digits are there, excel automatically converts digits to 0 after
16th digits. Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue.

e.g. if my number is 20071022123456789 it is automatically converts to
20071022123456700, last two digits 89 is automatically takes it as 00.

How is it possible to take full number ........ 20071022123456789 ?

Thank you.

Your problem is not particularly unique. If you check Excel's specifications,
you will see that precision is limited to 15 digits, in accord with the IEEE
standard with which Excel (and many other spreadsheet applications) complies.

To enter a number with more than 15 digits, you must enter it as text. You can
do this by either pre-formatting the cell as Text (Format/Cells/Number/Text) or
by preceding your entry with a single quote " ' ". The single quote will not
appear in the cell, but it will tell Excel to treat the entry as text.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Try pre-format the cell(s) or the entire col as text
--
Max
Singapore
"Vijay Kotian" wrote:
I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while opening a file where
more than 16 digits are there, excel automatically converts digits to 0 after
16th digits. Can anyone help me out to resolve this issue.

e.g. if my number is 20071022123456789 it is automatically converts to
20071022123456700, last two digits 89 is automatically takes it as 00.

How is it possible to take full number ........ 20071022123456789 ?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ron wrote on Mon, 22 Oct 2007 09:02:05 -0400:

?? I have encountered an unique problem, wherein, while

RR Your problem is not particularly unique. If you check
RR Excel's specifications, you will see that precision is
RR limited to 15 digits, in accord with the IEEE standard with
RR which Excel (and many other spreadsheet applications)
RR complies.

To tell the truth, while I was aware of the 15 digit limitation,
I had not thought to look up the specifications as you suggest.
I'd just like to mention that I found them under
"specifications" in HELP and a Google search was not necessary
as I had feared :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: