Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Plain text to fill a single column: how?

I have text in a plain txt file. How do I get it into Excel so that the
words fill into a single column without retyping it individually? It is
a very long list of words.

Example:

"John Andrew Phillip Henry ....."
How do I get that into Excel so each word goes singly into a separate
row within the same single column, like this:

John
Andrew
Phillip
Henry
etc.

When I try to insert it or import it into Excel, the words either all
end up within one cell or else (I forgot what I did, I think Import)
they end up one word per column instead of one word per row). There has
to be a way but I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Import your txt file into Excel, using space as the seperator. Everything
will end up in one row, each word in a seperate column. Select the row,
press <Ctrl<V, select the next row, right click, select paste special, and
tick the Transpose option. OK out, delete the row which you copied, and
you'll have your words in one column, below each other.

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way...

Open the text file in MSWord.
Edit|Replace
what: (spacebar)
with: ^p (paragraph mark in MSWord)
Replace all

Select all the document.
Open Excel
Go to where you want to paste (A1 of a new worksheet in a new workbook???)
Edit|paste special|Text

(You can use Edit|paste, but the cells in excel will inherit the formatting from
MSWord.)

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson