Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mel Mel is offline

Default Should I use Excel ???

I have a problem that I need to solve, but am not quite sure how to do it,
hence my post here. I have approximately 50 contacts in Microsoft outlook,
some of whom contact me every day, and others less often. When they contact
me I open their outlook contact box, and edit some of the details, and then
close the outlook contact box. What I would like to do is have a list, from
top to bottom, of all of the names of the 50 people, displayed on my desktop,
with each individual name coloured red, or in a red box, and as they
contacted me one by one, I wanted to be able to tick them off of the list on
my desktop, so that the colour of each individual, change from red to Green,
when I tick the box, (or possibly even better, this could be done
automatically when I close the outlook contact box,) this way I would know
who had contacted me instantly, at the end of the day, just by looking at my
desktop, and any name that was still coloured red, then I would know they had
not contacted me. I have experience using outlook and word, but can't see
how I would do this using these programmes, so my thoughts have turned
towards using Microsoft Excel instead, but unfortunately I have very limited
experience with this programme. So basically what I need to know from you
dear reader, is whether using Excel is the way to go, as I don't want to go
to the trouble of learning it, only to find it is not the correct way to
proceed. If anybody can help me with this, or point me in the right
direction, I would be extremely grateful.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just put the 50 names in A1:A50.

Select A1:A50, and then goto menu FormatConditional Formatting
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add a formula of =B1="a"
Click the Format button
Select the Pattern tab
Choose red
OK out

Now select column B and change the font to Marlett

All names will be red, as each contact you, put an a (lower-case letter A)
in the B cell, and it will turn off red.

--
HTH

Bob

"mel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:37:01 -0700, mel wrote:

I have a problem that I need to solve, but am not quite sure how to do it,
hence my post here. I have approximately 50 contacts in Microsoft outlook,
some of whom contact me every day, and others less often...

I can give you working example in Outlook, but this is Excel group, so it
will be off topic. Please contact me directly on e-mail boris @ lanx.hr
(without spaces) if you are interested.

Regards,
B.