Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you make a cell always negative without entering a minus each

I am creating a spreadsheet form where a cell will always be a negative
number. Can I make the cell always negative without having to enter a minus
sign each time?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can you make a cell always negative without entering a minus each

Making a Cell Always Negative in Excel

1. Select the cell where you want to enter the negative number.
  1. Right-click on the cell and select "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  2. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Number" tab.
  3. In the "Category" list, select "Custom".
  4. In the "Type" field, enter the following format:
    Formula:
    0; -
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Now, whenever you enter a number in that cell, it will automatically be displayed as a negative number without you having to enter a minus sign. If you enter a positive number, it will automatically be converted to a negative number.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No but having entered some numbers in a range you can:
1 type -1 in some empty cell
2 copy the -1 with the Copy tool
3 select the range of numbers to be treated; use Edit | Paste Special and
specify multiply
Now all the positive numbers become negative and the negative ones become
positive
You can now delete the -1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JoJoColorado" wrote in message
I am creating a spreadsheet form where a cell will always be a negative
number. Can I make the cell always negative without having to enter a
minus
sign each time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:37:02 -0700, JoJoColorado
wrote:

I am creating a spreadsheet form where a cell will always be a negative
number. Can I make the cell always negative without having to enter a minus
sign each time?

How do the numbers get into the cells?

If the numbers get there by typing them into the cell, then

Right-click the sheet tab and select View Code
Paste the code below into the window that opens.
Change AOI to reflect the range you wish to always contain negative numbers.

=================================
Option Explicit
Dim AOI As Range
Set AOI = Range("B3:B1000")
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, AOI) Is Nothing Then
Target.Value = -Abs(Target.Value)
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

If the numbers are entered in some other fashion, you'll need to let us know.

--ron