-   -   Sum months into quarters? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/162797-sum-months-into-quarters.html)

Steve

Sum months into quarters?

I have a P&L by month on a "Monthly" tab. It has the last 3 years or 36
months of data.

I need to create a "Quarterly" tab where I sum the months into quarters.

So my monthly tab has data in column A through AJ.

I need the first Quarterly column to sum columns A:C from the Monthly. Then
I want the second column to sum columns D:F from the Monthly. The problem is
that if I drag the formulas like normal the second Quarterly column will add
B:D from the Monthly since it is looking relative.

Is there a way to tell it how many columns to skip when copying the formulas
over? This could even apply to summing monthly data into annual data.

Thanks!

Gary Brown

Sum months into quarters?

copy the formulas over 3 columns then delete the middle 2 columns.
For example, copy the fomulas in Col A to Col D then delete Col's B and C.
--
HTH,
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful to you, please select
''''''''''''''''YES'''''''''''''''' at the bottom of the post.

"Steve" wrote:

I have a P&L by month on a "Monthly" tab. It has the last 3 years or 36
months of data.

I need to create a "Quarterly" tab where I sum the months into quarters.

So my monthly tab has data in column A through AJ.

I need the first Quarterly column to sum columns A:C from the Monthly. Then
I want the second column to sum columns D:F from the Monthly. The problem is
that if I drag the formulas like normal the second Quarterly column will add
B:D from the Monthly since it is looking relative.

Is there a way to tell it how many columns to skip when copying the formulas
over? This could even apply to summing monthly data into annual data.

Thanks!

Steve

Sum months into quarters?

Is there any special way to do it formula-wise?

"Steve" wrote:

I have a P&L by month on a "Monthly" tab. It has the last 3 years or 36
months of data.

I need to create a "Quarterly" tab where I sum the months into quarters.

So my monthly tab has data in column A through AJ.

I need the first Quarterly column to sum columns A:C from the Monthly. Then
I want the second column to sum columns D:F from the Monthly. The problem is
that if I drag the formulas like normal the second Quarterly column will add
B:D from the Monthly since it is looking relative.

Is there a way to tell it how many columns to skip when copying the formulas
over? This could even apply to summing monthly data into annual data.

Thanks!

JP[_3_]

Sum months into quarters?

Hello,

You could adjust the formulas manually to compensate. Have you tried
the Consolidation feature? Or "Group and outline" on your columns?

HTH,
JP